"Education not Legislation"

Why do I need RYA training?

Education not Legislation

The RYA's motto is "education not legislation", which means that up to 155,000 people every year complete an RYA training course voluntarily. The success of the system is clear as the UK is the least regulated country in Europe whilst enjoying the best safety record. This impressive position is due to the diligence of boat owners in the UK.

Is there any legal requirements for training?

Is there any legal requirements for training?

Only the VHF SRC certificate is legally required. This one day course can be completed in our spacious and well appointed classroom in Warsash. However, all practical courses passed can reduce your insurance premium by hundreds of pounds!

Why train with Marine Matters?

Why train with Marine Matters?

There are 3 main reasons to train with Marine Matters:

1) We are a dedicated Powerboat Training Centre, which means all our skills are focused on what you need - excellence.

2) Our CPD programme ensures our Skippers/Instructors are always up to date with the latest developments and do not suffer skills drift and are always use best practice.

3) Our boats are owned by us therefore they are equipped and maintained specifically for use by you.

Where is Marine Matters and how easy is it to get there?

Marine Matters practical powerboat training is based at Stone Pier Marina at the  entrance to the River Hamble, with shorebased facilities (offices, classroom). The location is within five minutes drive of the M27 and enjoy spectacular river views with the IOW in the background. Our practical training area is of course The Solent, which is ideal for training as well as charter, providing sheltered waters in a beautiful setting.

What boat does Marine Matters Powerboat Training Centre use?

Powerboat courses can be taken on our new GRAND G650 RIB with a 200hp Suzuki 4 stroke outboard engine.

Will I get an International Certificate of Competence (ICC)?

On successful completion of a Powerboat Level 2 certificate automatically qualify for an ICC for boats up to 10m in length.

What is an ICC?

The ICC was introduced when the EU required internationally recognisable photocard ID as proof of qualifications. The RYA administers this scheme in the UK and it  remains valid now the the UK is no longer a member of the EU.  

Can I choose when the training occurs?

All dates for courses on our training centres boat is detailed on this website. All these dates can be found on the individual course pages on this website. If you choose you can book the whole boat for you and your friends. For courses as own boat tuition, you choose your own dates! We have the valued reputation of never letting customers down - but a little notice would be nice!

Can I be taught on my own boat?

Yes, Own Boat Training is very popular, enabling you to get to know your boat and train with friends and family. With Marine Matters this is also cost effective as, unlike many training centres, we only charge a flat rate rather then a per head fee.

Are there minimum safety equipment requirements for own boat training?

Yes, but don't worry we can provide a safety bag that far exceeds the minimum requirements recommended by the RYA. Use our equipment on your course and take advice from your Instructor before purchasing - try before you buy!

Can I Bareboat charter boats from Marine Matters?

Yes. We encourage our RYA training clients to consider bareboat charter to consolidate skills learned during their training. Our GRAND G650 RIB is available to you provided you have the minimum required RYA qualification of a Powerboat Level 2 and the boat stay in The Solent and is in a marina overnight.

Instagram feed